1860s House: Music Room Renovations.|
The music room, left, started with wall-to-wall carpet, sliding-door closets which covered the chimney and heating ducts, and a lowered acoustical ceiling over plaster.
It was a comfortable room which needed updates from the 1970s - one of our goals was to make the room as large as possible. So we removed the double-sliding door closet, right, and the tiled ceiling.
Below the wall-to-wall carpet, there was a layer of linoleum and a tar-like substance adhered to the wood floor, which required hand-scraping, left, and a sander.
We also removed the linoleum wainscoting, its underlying adhesive, and layers of wallpaper.
Mike Ingalls replaced one wall with sheetrock and we replaced a hollow door with a solid wood door given to us by Frank Donahue, our generous neighbor.
Mike helped us in record-time with our one week deadline. The day we were going to repair the ceiling he said, "I have an idea..." He wanted to expose the beams of the ceiling. Within 5 minutes we all decided to remove the plaster ceiling.
The dust settled and we shovelled plaster into barrels and dragged the barrels to the rented dumpster.
The beams looked terrible exposed. The wood was sistered together in parts, and a turn-of-the-century fire had charred some beams. But within the week we capped the beams and painted them. The extra height of the ceiling is terrific.
We finished scraping, spackling and sanding the walls, picked out the colors and painted the floor, ceiling and trim. We repainted the trim when our first color choice didn't look right. Jim, traditionally a poet, helped us paint the ceiling up until the last 10 minutes before the piano arrived. We just made the deadline. Incredible!
Finishing touches we'll get done at our own pace! We're finishing a fireplace mantel at the exposed brick chimney, and we'll put brackets or corbels at the end of the ceiling beams.